The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 2009 and provided with state of art laboratory facilities and offering hands on training to the students both in conventional subjects and also in the engineering fields of specialization. The department of mechanical engineering is pioneer in R&D activities in this zone. The key areas of Research were Composite materials, Alternative fuels and Welding. The faculty members & Students are actively involved in Research & Development projects & Received Young Scientist Award- 2015 from Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India. The department of mechanical engineering is funded by Ministry of science and Technology, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India. The department is executing collaborative research projects with Aeronautics Research & Development Board of Defence Research & Development organization (DRDO), Government of India.
The department is an approved research center of Anna University, Chennai. The Department has an excellent infrastructure and well experienced faculty members who dedicated to produce high caliber technocrats.
“The Mechanical Engineering Department strives to be recognized globally for outstanding education and research leading to well-qualified engineers, who are innovative, entrepreneurial and successful in advanced fields of engineering and research”
- Imparting quality education to the students and enhancing their skills to make them globally competitive mechanical engineers.
- Maintaining vital, state-of-the-art research facilities to provide its students and faculty with opportunities to create, interpret, apply and disseminate knowledge.
- To develop linkages with world class R&D organizations and educational institutions in India and abroad for excellence in teaching, research and consultancy practices.
- Inculcate the Desire to take up Entrepreneurship as a Career.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO’S)
Graduates will be
- To develop the fundamental knowledge and confidence to face the domain related operations globally.
- To imbibe problem solving ability while working with Mechanical engineering ambiance worldwide.
- To have ability to conduct research and apply the results in a functioning Engineering system to improve its existing functional effectiveness.
- To get the confidence to became a entrepreneur.
Program Outcomes (POs):
The students after successful completion of the course will acquire:
- PO1. Engineering knowledge: An ability to apply basic knowledge of science, mathematics and engineering fundamentals in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- PO2. Problem analysis: An ability to design and conduct experiments, interpret and analyze mechanical engineering problems using basics principles of science, mathematics and engineering.
- PO3. Design/development of solutions: An ability to design for complex mechanical engineering problems using basic design concepts, analyze and process to meet the desired needs.
- PO4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: An ability to design and conduct of experiments, analyse and interpret the experimental data for inferring valid conclusions.
- PO5. Modern tool usage: An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- PO6. The Engineer and Society: An ability to consider/assess social, environmental, economic and ethical impact of engineering activities in a given scenario.
- PO7. Environment and sustainability: An ability to appraise the impact of engineering solutions in sustainable environmental developments.
- PO8. Ethics: An ability to practice professional ethics in engineering.
- PO9. Individual and team work: An ability to function efficiently as an individual and as a group member in a team in multidisciplinary activities.
- PO10. Communication: An ability to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11. Project management and finance: An ability to acquire and demonstrate the knowledge of contemporary issues related to finance and managerial skills to bring up entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship.
- PO12. Life-long learning: An ability to recognize and adapt to emerging field of application in engineering and technology by developing self-confidence for continuing education and lifelong learning process.
Program specific outcomes (PSOs):
The graduates of Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering Programme will be able to:
- PSO1: Demonstrate the skills in material Science, Engineering and technology to solve mechanical engineering problems.
- PSO2: Ability to implement the learned principles of Mechanical Engineering to analyze, evaluate and create more advanced mechanical systems or processes.