From 10.07.2017 to 15.07.2017, Conducted by Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. Under National Mission on Education through ICT (MHRD, Govt of INDIA)
Electricity is the third most important commodity, next only to Air and water for survival of human beings. The course on Electric Power System is a very important course in an electrical engineering curriculum on all aspects of Electricity right from Generation to utilization. Every graduate in broad area of Electrical Engineering needs to have a detailed exposure to (a) Elements of Power System (b) Importance of Renewables and (c) Importance of ICT in reliable operation of Power System.
Electrical Power System is a core course for any undergraduate programme in Electrical Engineering. It is expected to be the first course on this topic and is typically meant for participants who already have some introductory knowledge of Electric Circuits, Electric Machines and Control Systems. The course shall cover the basic foundations of Power System Analysis, Which can be used to assess effective Electric Power Delivery in practice. An awareness of available software tools for the purpose. Need for renewable energy resources will also be brought out. Participants are exposed to usefulness of employing ICT in developing smart grids. Through this course a participant is expected to be able to learn to properly identify as to what comprises an Electric Power System, examine its inherent complexity and explore different ways to develop an algorithmic solution by analyzing the various alternatives to finally develop a good practical solution that is supported by logical and theoretical justification.
Participants pursuing this course should be able to:
- Identify as to what Comprises a Power System
- Realize the need for Renewable Energy Sources for Electric Power Supply.
- Become aware of usefulness of ICT in reliable operation of Electric Power System.
- Be able to carry out all essential analyses necessary to have reliable operation of Electric Power System.
- Introduction and Components of Power System
- Steady State Operation of Power System
- Power Flow Analysis
- Symmetrical Components
- Symmetrical Faults
- Un-symmetrical Faults
- Power System Stability
- Economic Operation of Power System
- Power System Protection
- Application of Software for Power System Analysis
- Recent Trends and Application of ICT in Power System Operation
- Overview of a Laboratory Course on Power Systems
- Control of Power Systems
- Renewable Energy Issues
The duration of the STTP will be six working days. It will start on Monday 10th July, 2017 at 9:30am and will end on Saturday 15th July, 2017. The participants must report to the respective remote centres by 8:00am on 10 July, 2017.
IIT Kharagpur Virtual Remote Center(RC 1315), Selvam College of Technology, Namakkal, Tamilnadu.
Professor N K Kishore, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur
Professor Shreevardhan A Soman, Department of Electrical Engineering, IITBombay,
Professor Gautam Bandyopadhyay, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIEST Kolkata,
1) He/ she must be a faculty member in the Department of Electrical Engineering /Electrical and Electronics Engineering with basic understanding of Electric Circuits, Signals and Systems, Electric Machines, Power Electronics, Power Systems, Energy Science and High Voltage Engineering related Departments and Centres.
2) B.E. / B. Tech. or equivalent degree holders in the above mentioned disciplines with minimum teaching experience of 2 years and moderate teaching experience in the area of Power and Energy Systems
3) M.E / M.Tech. degree holders in the above mentioned disciplines with minimum teaching experience of 1 year and moderate teaching experience in the area of Power and Energy Systems.
4) Ph.D. degree holders should have a minimum teaching experience of 1 year and moderate teaching experience in the area of Power and Energy Systems.
ACCOMMODATION AND OTHER SUPPORT FOR OUTSTATION PARTICIPANTS
This ISTE STTP on Electric Power System is funded by the online Education through ICT (MHRD, Government of India), therefore there is no course fee for participation.
Remote Centers are being funded to provide tea/lunch on each day of the workshop, and for accommodation, wherever available, for a limited number of outstation participants. Travel expenses up to Rs. 1000/- one way and one-time will be reimbursed against proof of actual expenditure, for participants beyond a distance of 100 Km from the Remote Centre.
It is mandatory that while registering for the STTP, the participants should submit a scanned copy of a letter from the Principal/Head of the Institute. Format of this is available in our college website. Registration without this letter will not be confirmed.
Please note that this STTP is conducted by the e-Outreach project of IIT Kharagpur, under the National Mission on Education through ICT. Live recording of the course and other created contents will be released under Open Source through a portal. The recorded CD/DVD of the course lectures will be available for distribution at cost, to any individual/ institution. All participants are required to sign an authorization for such release of contents contributed by them during and after the workshop. Recognition and citation will be made for all contributors.
FOR REGISTRATION CONTACT:
Selvam College of Technology
Salem Road (NH-7)