The Department was established in the year 2014 with an intake of 18 students. The Department fortified with glowingcompetent and proficient faculty members. The Department has good laboratory facilities with latest and updated versions of the software and 24 hours Wi-Fi enabled Internet facility.
- The post graduate programme in Structural Engineering is aimed at moulding structural engineers who can do safe and economical design of civil and other structures. The programme emphasizes on developing strong learning skills and imparting knowledge in key subject areas relevant to structural engineering. Students carry out experimental testing in well-equipped laboratories and software development projects in computer center having variety of structural engineering softwares for their projects and dissertation work. This M.E. Program is administered by the Department of Civil Engineering.
- To give practical exposure and to provide updated technologythe department conducts periodic workshops, seminars, symposiums and conferences the students, research scholars and corporate world to unite in a common place and thereby strengthen the Industry Institution fusion.
- Eligibility:B.E./B.Tech (Civil Engineering)
The department is having well equipped laboratories in the field of structural engineering and a dedicated computer centre with internet facility and various softwares, such as STAAD.Pro, Archi CAD, AutoCAD etc. for structural analysis and design.
PG Project Areas
Students carry out their projects in the institute as well as at various structural designing firms. Some of the areas of the major projects undertaken by the PG students are as under:
- Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics
- Finite Element Analysis
- Design of Concrete Structures
- Design of Steel Structures
- Prestress and Precast Concrete
- Analysis and Design of Special Structures like water tanks, bridges, shells etc.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF STRUCTURALENGINEER:
- The role of the structural engineer is a key component in the construction process.
- Part of the wider discipline of civil engineering, structural engineering is concerned with the design and physical integrity of buildings and other large structures, like tunnels and bridges.
- Structural engineers have wide range of responsibilities – not least a duty to ensure the safety and durability of the project on which they are working.
- Unlike architects, who must focus on the appearance, shape, size and use of the building, structural engineers must solve technical problems – and help the architect achieve his or her vision for the project.
- To providing state of art education in civil engineering guided by innovative research, inclusive technology and managerial skills for industry and societal needs for sustainable development.
- To create, disseminate and integrate knowledge of civil engineering for the betterment of society.
- To develop skills among students and faculty by identifying potentials and knowledge through innovative research for challenging applications in civil engineering.
- To develop center of excellence in civil engineering to carry out research in the areas of infrastructure and eco-friendly technologies.
- To train students through periodical in-plant training and industrial visits.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
PEO 1: To exhibit an in-depth knowledge in the core areas of Civil and allied engineering.
PEO 2: To acquire profound knowledge in fundamentals, techniques and design of Civil Engineering system that encourages them to develop innovative techniques in their professional practice.
PEO 3: To engage in life-long learning through independent study and participation in professional conferences, seminars and workshops.
PEO 4: To become a successful Civil Engineer so as to meet the demand and be industry ready in the field of Civil Engineering and related fields.
PEO 5: To develop an understanding of the multidisciplinary approach with a view to relating Engineering issues to social and human context in which their engineering contributions will be utilized.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
PSO1: An ability to recognize the importance of Civil Engineering professional development by pursuing postgraduate studies
PSO2: An ability to face competitive examinations that offer challenging and rewarding careers
PSO3: An ability to apply design, develop and execution of projects in the construction of various Civil Engineering disciplines
PSO4: An ability to become a good entrepreneur and to improve the management skills.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
PO1: An ability to apply knowledge of computing, fundamental mathematics, algorithmic principles and Civil Engineering theory in design to solve the real-world problems.
PO2: Ability to identify the basic principles, mathematical tools and apply the fundamentals in the field of engineering sciences.
PO3: An ability to make the graduates, who come with a background of social science and humanities, realize the impact of engineering solutions on the quality of life and physical environment in a global and societal context.
PO4: An ability to make graduates be aware of the continued research in the field of civil engineering and will actively engages themselves in research and development.
PO5: An ability to be aware of the emerging technologies, equip themselves with current techniques, tools and utilize the same to solve issues in the professional field.
PO6: An ability to understand the duties as professional engineers in the society, protect the public health, safety and welfare, act against plagiarism and respect the copyrights and patents of others.
PO7: An ability to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
PO8: An ability to apply the basic ethical principles with commitments in Civil Engineering field.
PO9: Ability to realize the importance of teamwork and work with in multi-disciplinary team.
PO10: An ability to communicate effectively on Civil Engineering activities with engineering society to produce reports through written, oral and graphical methods
PO11: An ability to recognize the role of a leader, leadership principles to manage projects in multi-disciplinary environments
PO12: An ability to engage in continual professional development and life-long learning.
LIST OF LABORATORY
|COURSE CODE||LAB NAME|
|1||AU-CHENNAI||II / I||ST7211||Advanced Structural Engineering Laboratory|
7.Electrical Strain Gauge with indicator
9.Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Tester